Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Redo of "I do"

This poem came to me one cold night, as I was trying to fall asleep.
I wrote it for my husband, Leroy.




If I could travel
back in time
to the day
I said, “I do.”

To the moment that
I was a bride
I would change
a thing or two.

No, I wouldn’t
change my dress
because it fit
me to a T.

With empire waist
and beaded lace
hand sewn
by yours truly.

No, I wouldn’t
change the guest list
of flirts and
gents well dressed.

But I would make
one revision
to the vows
that you expressed.

A rewrite that would
help me now
as I pull
the covers tight.

A promise that
you’d warm my feet
with yours
on winter nights.

5 comments:

  1. Again you blow me away with your style and organization of your words. This was one of my favourite pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. I like the flow of your words in this piece.I hope you shared this with your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, delightful. Your wit and wisdom and craft combine here to make me smile.

    Lorri
    (My Wordpress name doesn't seem to want to work here)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, you have a way with words I envy and truly enjoy writing. I like how your perspective on an important memory to you. It's great how you can take an everyday moment and turn it into a truly dynamic piece of writing.
    -Kassie

    ReplyDelete