Monday, February 22, 2010

To the Editor-in-Chief

Dear Mr. Jannot, Editor-in-Chief,

The January issue of Popular Science appeared in my school mailbox the other day. Apparently none of the other elementary school teachers wanted it, so I happily took the magazine home to my spouse and my 13 year-old son, who are both scientifically minded.

My husband read the issue from cover to cover, and I suspect that he now secretly yearns to drive 124 mph in a red, electric Audi E-Tron like the one that was featured in one of the articles. My son was fascinated by the information on the making of Avatar – we recently saw the movie together and were awestruck by the virtual world of the Na’vi.

I had never read a Pop. Sci. magazine before, so I was curious about the contents. I discovered colonies of robotic bees that are being developed to assist the dwindling bee population with pollination; military veterans who play musical instruments to lessen the impact of traumatic brain injuries; grade six students who learn “almost entirely through video game-inspired activities” at the Quest to Learn school in Manhattan, and companies that guarantee “penis enlargement up to 5 inches and 50% gain in width…”

Honestly, this last bit of info surprised me, like finding a hair in my tiramisu at a topnotch restaurant. I won’t be returning there despite the delicious entrĂ©e. It’s unfortunate that Popular Science provides classified ad space to rinky dink companies that claim to increase penis size. What’s next - x-ray glasses and blow-up dolls? (That question is for the frat boys responsible for classified advertising sales.)

The Popular Science team should consider the younger audience of readers that includes students in upper elementary and Jr. High school. You should take pride in creating a dynamic and interesting magazine for individuals who take the time to read it because they want to be enlightened, rather than enlarged.

3 comments:

  1. Loved the way that you ended this piece. Like we said before you should consider sending this piece to Popular Science.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, I have to say that I love all of your writing pieces. I knew I would enjoy everything you produced when I heard you read your first piece aloud to the class. It amazes me how you can switch from poem to editorial to memoir and master each type of writing so eloquently. This letter in particular is so witty. I especially liked the way that you talked about the new things you learned. I agree with Kelly, you never lost momentum right through to the final paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this information with me. Your experience shows how truly careful we have to be with what is around for young people to read. Who knew? The next time one of my students wants to take out this magazine from our school library, I will have to have a look first.

    Kassie

    ReplyDelete